Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Value of blogging…and the challenges of life

I see it has now been a year since I entered the world of blogging... strangely enough I think this blog has probably been more helpful for me than for anyone else. Just the discipline of having to articulate or share something has been good. And as I reflect on some of the things I have been thinking about this past year - faith, truth, friendship, encouragement, trust, etc. - and the sharing of poetry and things that have been so helpful to me throughout the year, I find myself both challenged and encouraged in my own faith once again. So, as I say, that seems a strange thing but I am thankful for it.

At the moment my mom is going through chemotherapy, she started yesterday, and it is a reminder to me of the frailty of life -- yet it also challenges me to reflect on God's care and to look with faith to him for the future. He is the One who holds the future and I need each day to rest in that. I am thankful that the One who made us is powerful, and able to heal and renew.

I have often been reminded of Psalm 139:13-18 these past few months:

For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.

My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,

your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be.

How precious to me are your thoughts, O God!
How vast is the sum of them!

Were I to count them,
they would outnumber the grains of sand.
When I awake,
I am still with you.


There are many poignant lines in this psalm of David's. I am reminded that the One who knew us before one of our days came to be, who knit us together in our mother's womb, is able to knit mom's body back together. But most of all, I am blessed to know as vv.17-18 attests, that God remembers us, he thinks about us, and he is always with us. What a comfort that is when all around us seems to be in flux and turmoil! As David rested in the kind providence of God, I pray that I may too.

No comments: