Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Wilberforce and Bacon

I am reading a great biography of William Wilberforce at the moment – Hero for Humanity by Kevin Belmonte [This being an important year in remembering the abolition of the slave trade in England (200 years ago).] It has been interesting to read how God worked in Wilberforce's life to bring him to salvation. Once he became a Christian, and already a member of Parliament, he struggled a bit with whether he should quit being an MP and pursue some type of "full-time" Christian service. Encouraged by William Pitt and others to remain in Parliament and serve God there (and obviously, God ended up using his position in a mighty way to end a horrible practice), Wilberforce remained an MP in following years and used his influence to effect much good.

An avid reader of Sir Francis Bacon, Wilberforce quotes this in his diary (around 1784/5):

Illi mors gravis incubat, qui notus nimis omnibus, ignotus moritur sibi
It is a sad fate for a man to die too well known to everybody else, and still unknown to himself.

Wilberforce concluded: "The shortening of private devotions starves the soul, it grows lean and faint. This must not be."

I find myself rebuked by these words.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen, and amen....
eva

Dave said...

I found this blog because I was searching for the quote. I did not find it in any of the "Francis Bacon quotes" websites, but the quote was mentioned in the movie Amazing Grace. Fancy finding it on your blog in conjunction with William Wilberforce...

Sonya & Josh said...

Hey Jan,

I didn't realize that you had a blog!!! I've added a link to your blog on Josh & my blog! :)

Sonya

Sonya & Josh said...

Hrmm.. I wrote this once but I can't see that it worked! I didn't know you had a blog. I will add a link to it on Josh & my blog!

Sonya

jasonvanb said...

I find myself similarly rebuked.

I have a new blog, and I have just started a series on baptism. I would wlecome your feedback: http://prochristorege.wordpress.com

Hélène said...

"Amazing Grace", the film is a must-see!